We will only use the information that we collect about you lawfully, in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
We may update this policy from time to time. If we do, any changes will be detailed on this page for you to refer to. If you have any questions, or any requests concerning your personal information please contact us moc.s1563788238serpa1563788238jarad1563788238@ofni1563788238 or alternatively, send us a message on our contact page.
How We Collect and Use Your Personal Data
Daraja Press collects certain personal data depending on what activities you engage in while on our website. Examples of these different activities and the data we may collect are listed below:
- General use of the website: We use Google Analytics to monitor traffic patterns. As part of this, we may collect information about your geographical location; age and gender; and statistics about your use of the website.
- Making a purchase on the website: When you buy a product from our website, we require you to create a user account, and we store your name and email address on our user account database, along with details of any purchases or downloads. In order to process a purchase, we will additionally require your billing address and payment card information. Please note – we only store minimal card details on the Daraja Press website (the card type and the last four digits).
- Signing up to our newsletter: If you choose to sign up to our newsletter, we will collect your name, email address and IP address.
What we do with the information we gather:
- If you have opted in to receive promotional emails via our newsletter, we will use the contact details provided to contact you about new books, authors, events and other developments
- If you make a purchase on the website, we will keep records of your transactions in case of any questions, replacements or refunds, but we will not contact you for promotional and marketing purposes unless you have opted in
- We use the data gathered about your visit(s) to our website in order to improve our functionality and overall user experience
Our Legal Basis for Using Your Personal Data
There are three legal grounds on which we rely to use your personal data. These are listed below:
- Contract: When you make a purchase from the Daraja Press website, this constitutes a contract of sorts. In order for us to fulfil our obligations under this contract, we need to collect and process certain information, including payment information (as outlined above).
- Legitimate Interests: As a data controller, we rely on our legitimate business interest to process the personal information you provide to us when you use our site or if you contact us, or participate in any survey, competition or similar activity we might run. We will only use your data in ways you would reasonably expect.
- Consent: We will only collect or process your personal data, including for marketing purposes, where you have provided active and explicit consent for us to do so.
Disclosure of Personal Data
We will not share your personal data with any third parties unless it is strictly necessary. Those third parties with whom we may share your data are as follows:
- Google analytics – in order to monitor site traffic for the purposes of improving the user experience
- Our third-party service providers, including PayPal, MailChimp etc to ensure the correct functioning of the website, including the e-commerce system and payment process.
- If you sign up to the Daraja Press mailing list, your contact details will be shared with MailChimp.
- Our regulators, law enforcement or fraud prevention agencies, as well as our legal advisers, courts and any other authorised bodies, for the purposes of investigating any actual or suspected criminal activity, enforcing our rights or other regulatory or legal matters.
Marketing and Promotional Activity
Where you have provided your explicit consent for us to do so, we may contact you with marketing information about certain products, events, services etc. We will only use the personal information you provide us with in order to provide marketing information that is relevant – in other words, relating to the same or similar services you have previously used.
If you are signed up to the Daraja Press mailing list but no longer want to receive promotional emails from us, simply scroll to the bottom of any email you have received and click ‘unsubscribe from this list’. You will still receive emails from us to confirm any purchases, and there may be instances where it is necessary for us to communicate with you, in any event, for administrative or operational reasons relating to our service.
To change any of your contact details or account settings please log in, click ‘My Account’ and make changes. If you do not want to receive promotional emails from us, simply scroll to the bottom of any email you have received and click ‘unsubscribe from this list’. You will still receive emails from us to confirm any purchases, and there may be instances where it is necessary for us to communicate with you, in any event, for administrative or operational reasons relating to our service.
We endeavour to do our best to protect your personal data. For all personal data we hold, we use strict procedures and security features to prevent unauthorised access. Nonetheless, we cannot guarantee the absolute security of your data transmitted to our site, and any transmission is at your own risk.
In order to have a user account on the Daraja Press website you will be required to create a password. You are responsible for keeping this password confidential and secure. If you forget your password, we are able to issue a new one.
All card payments made on the Daraja Press website are handled securely by PayPal.
Storage and Retention
Our website is hosted on servers based in Canada, and our e-commerce platform is hosted on servers based in Canada. Therefore, any personal data we collect relating to your transaction history will be stored in our Canadian Data Center.
We will retain information about you only for the period necessary to fulfil the purposes for which the information was collected.
This retention period may vary depending on the purposes for which the information was collected. For example, the data we collect via Google Analytics will be stored for 50 months; if you have signed up to receive our newsletter, we will retain your data indefinitely, until you opt-out.
Please note that in some circumstances we may be legally obliged to retain your information, for example, for tax and accounting purposes.
As a data subject (i.e. someone about whom we collect personal information) you have certain rights. These rights are not universal or absolute and may vary depending on applicable data protection legislation. Under GDPR, all website users based in the European Union have the following rights:
- The right to access personal data held by us about you
- The right to require us to correct any inaccurate data we might hold about you
- The right to require us to erase/delete personal data held by us about you
- The right to restrict our processing of personal data held by us about you
- The right to request and receive – at no financial cost – any and all personal data which you have provided to us in an accessible format
- The right to withdraw your consent to our processing of your personal data, either in specific aspects, or in its totality
In order to exercise any of these rights, please email us at moc.s1563788238serpa1563788238jarad1563788238@ofni1563788238.
Should you wish to make a complaint, you may also contact the European Information Commissioner’s Office.
Cookies are small text files placed on your computer or mobile device by websites you visit.
While you do not need to allow your browser to accept cookies in order to use our website, you will need to have cookies enabled if you wish to shop online or access any areas reserved for registered users, such as your account.