Daraja Press is a not-for-profit publisher that seeks contribute to reclaiming the past, contesting the present and inventing the future.
Daraja is the KiSwahili word for ‘bridge’. As its name suggests, Daraja Press seeks to build bridges, specifically, bridges of solidarity between movements. We aim to build upon and further develop interconnections between struggles through which efforts can be undertaken to support and link emancipatory struggles of the oppressed and exploited.
Where possible, and where authors / co-publishers are agreeable, we intend to make the full text of our books available for free online, while at the same time making the books available for sale to help develop our capacity to develop new materials.
We intend to publish books, e-books, pamphlets, campaign mateirals, video and audio content.
The Daraja collective includes: Firoze Manji, Micheline Ravololonarisoa, Bill Fletcher Jr, Hakima Abbas, Walter Turner, Nnimmo Bassey, Molly Kane, Wangui Kimari and Kali Akuno. We also draw on the advice of a wide range of individuals.
We have co-published with a number of other publishers and organisations including:
- Rosa Luxemburg Foundation
- Health of Mother Earth Foundation
- No REDD in Africa Network
- Maynooth University
- Spinifex Press
- Between the Lines
- Tulika Books
- New Internationalist Books
We welcome proposals for books, e-books, pamphlets, audio and visual content.
Please note that we want to encourage the publication of radical materials from the ‘global South’ (which includes the exploited and oppressed in the ‘global North’) that seek to reclaim the past, contest the present and invent the future.
Please provide the following information:
- A title and sub-title
- A synopsis of the book, including an outline of its argument (one page only)
- A list of chapters, with a brief description of each
- Why it is important that this book is published
- The audience it is aimed at, both in terms of its geography and type of readership
- Word length
- Information about any proposed illustrative material, e.g. line drawings, photographs or maps
- Proposed date of submission
- Your summary CV
Keeping in touch with us
If you would like to be kept up-to-date with Daraja Press, check out our facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/darajapress/